November 22, 2009

Forthcoming Films

There's quite a few films lined up so I'll try to stick with those that are worth mentioning.

First, we have Rajneeti expected to release sometime in 2010. The film has quite a list of talented actors. We have Nana Patekar, Ajay Devgan, Ranbir Kapoor, Vivek Oberoi, Manoj Bajpai and Katrina Kaif. Whilst reading that list did that record halting noise (you know, the one that indicates a negative surprise) play in your head too when you came across Katrina's name? Get this, she plays Sonia Gandhi. Director, Prakash Jha is a talented man who only casts best of the best so maybe he sees potential or maybe he just likes the idea that he can actually cast a half-Indian half-Caucasian actress. I have faith. I want to like Katrina, which don't get me wrong, I don't hate the girl but she is definitely overrated. Maybe this will be her breakout role. Let's cross our fingers. Also, it's nice to see Ranbir (who plays an NRI) branching out and not sticking to one genre or one camp. I guess that's what happens when you're part of the Kapoor lineage (I think they're my favorite Bollywood family). Oh, fun fact for the post: Ranbir, Bebo and Lolo are the first generation in the Kapoor Khandaan to have all been successful. Woohoo, glad that happened in my lifetime.

Next up we have Delhi Belly. Produced by Amir Khan, directed by Abhinay Deol and starring Imran Khan, Kunaal Roy Kapoor, Vir Das, Poorna Jagannathan, Shenaz Treasurywala, Kim Bodnia, Vijay Raaz, Ravi Khaanwilkar, Monica Dogre. I'm going to shamelessly admit the only people I've heard of are Imran Khan (obvs), Vir Das and Shenaz Treasurywala. I'll research these other folks soon and get back to you. I don't know much about the movie except that the phrase "Delhi Belly" means you have an upset stomach... usually us NRI/foreigners get it. Gross. No idea if the film touches upon that metaphorically or what. It's also supposed to be a sex-comedy. We also know that Imran had to sport a jungli-disheveled look for the film. Have a looksies (be sure to look at his promotional shirt):
Lastly, Ranbir Kapoor and Chitrangada Singh were to have originally been casted. She opted out due to little acting scope but we're not sure about Ranbir. Maybe it was a 'dates issue', isn't it always?

There's Karthik Calling Karthik (which I'm pretty excited about) starring Farhan Akhtar, Deepika Padukone, Ram Kapoor and Shefali Chaya. What a lovely cast, I absolutely adore all four of them. It's directed by Vijay Lalwani and produced by Farhan A. and Ritesh Sidhwani and the music was composed by Shankar-Ehsaan-Loy. The film is about a man who recieves a call from himself. It's supposed to be a psychological-thriller sprinkled with some humor and a bit of romance on the side. It's slated to release February 26th and since it's so far, much information isn't out. All I know is that Deepika plays an unconventional role and I'm excited to see that.

There are more upcoming films that should be mentioned but I'll save it for another post.

2 comments:

  1. The last 2 (and Rocket Singh from your previous post) seem like ones I could/will get/am excited about. I'm skeptical about Rajneeti...it looks too grim/serious (and has many of the usual suspects when it comes to these type of films: Nana, Vivek, Manoj, Ajay). Plus, Katrina as Sonia Gandhi...en serio?? Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agreed, Katrina is not nearly ugly enough to play Gandhi

    ReplyDelete