April 13, 2010

Forthcoming Films


So there's this film I accidentally stumbled across, I have no idea how... titled "SADIYAAN." So I did some investigating. Generally, it wouldn't be a film I would even think to blog about but there are a few reasons why I've decided to share it with you. A) It stars Rekha, Hema Malini and Rishi Kapoor B) It's about Partition.

Point A is pretty self-explanatory... I mean, that's just a little too epic for anyone's own good. I'm wondering how much money they got out of this because... everything else about the movie is lacking. Let me fill you in, it's directed by Raj Kanwar (the wonderful man who brought Priyanka Chopra into our Bollywood lives), the lead actors are newbies Luv Sinha (Shatrugan Sinha's son) and Ferena Wazir and the music was composed by Adnan-I-miss-his-mota-self-Sami.

Point B... even though movies based on partition usually fall flat because the story is either biased and/or inaccurate I still want to watch because... Confession: I kind of have an obsession with partition. No, really. I think this quote sums up why "The ifs and buts of history... form an insubstantial if intoxicating diet." That's from one of my favorite books, A Suitable Boy, which incidentally takes place a few years after partition. Anyway, I never got the chance or was brave enough to ask the super-buzurgh-folk (basically the elderly) in my family about it. Learnin' about the Civil Rights Movement in the '60s during my U.S. History classes was intriguing and all, but this kind of history my family was a part of. You know? I don't know why I went on that spiel, but it's been festering inside for years now. Basically all I'm sayin' is that I like to see/read about anything dealin' with that and that's one of the reasons why this movie might have me as audience... some day. Not to mention the music is catchy. I'm not even going to bother subjecting you to the floptastic looking trailer. If you're curious look it up. Luv Sinha's acting makes Tushar Kapoor seem Oscar-worthy.


I keep forgetting to mention the upcoming film TEES MAAR KHAN directed by Farah Khan, starring Akshay Kumar, Akshay Khanna and Katrina Kaif (wow, lots of Ks going here). The music's being done by Vishal-Shekhar. From the looks of it, it's a typical love triangle and that the two men are con-artists. Reaaaaal original, Bollywood, real original. Farah Khan is the master behind this and I've liked her first two movies (Main Hoon Na and Om Shanti Om). Her films have been clever, satirical and funny with an OD of Bollywood masala... just the way I like it so we'll just have to wait for promos to drop before I judge any further. That will be a while though because the film's expected to drop late December.

1 comment:

  1. Yeah I didn't really look into the movie bcuz of the name and cover lol but the songs r good and lol at adnan I miss my nota self lol hahaha anyways I'm finally gonna catch up now slowly I've been missing the binge :)

    ReplyDelete